MINARA BUSINESS AWARDS WINNERS 2018
Lights Camera and the winner is…
The Minara Business Recognition Awards and Gala Dinner was held on the 2nd November 2018 in Durban, which attracted a large number of nominations from which 18 top-finalists were shortlisted with winners being announced at the gala event which was complemented by a dynamic keynote address that focused on the Islamic Economy by Keynote speaker Mufti Yusuf Suliman.
Minara President presented a very apt address on the country’s development and highlighted the awardees of the evening.
In his address Mr Suleman stated that this event is the highlight of the Minara calendar recognising those individuals that are achievers, who have excelled in business, their profession or making a difference in the lives of others around them.
ALL FINALISTS ARE EFFECTIVELY WINNERS.
“From the humble idea of a collective voice for small businesses, Minara has grown into a formal business organisation with footprints in KwaZulu-Natal, Gauteng and the Western Cape.”
The showcasing of successful independently and family-owned businesses, high-achieving professionals, hard-working community builders and stalwarts of the struggle against social injustices is set to place Minara on its trajectory of taking its vision and mission beyond borders.
- First to step up on stage to receive his Lifetime Award was Community Stalwart Dr A.V. Mahomed. Dr AV Mahomed is well known in the community locally and Internationally for his involvement in various community projects mainly for the Juma Musjid Mosque and interfaith programmes. In his acceptance speech DR A.V. Mahomed mentioned the importance for succession planning and social involvement and thanked the Minara Chamber for its outstanding work in all communities.
- The Business Entity award went to Capital group, accepting on behalf of the Company was Director Iqlaas Ismail who thanked the Almighty and his entire team for the success of the company and it was an honour on winning this award. Finalists in this category included Alif Door Manufacturers and Limco Group.
- The Businessperson of the year proved to be a much more difficult choice as each Businessperson has undoubtedly excelled in their business. However with one winner to be chosen this year Minara Businessperson of the year was taken by Ahmed Mahomed , CEO of Datacentrix. High achiever finalists included Shabir Tayob of BMW Supertech Group and well known Media Tabloid owner Rishaad Mahomed.
- Environmentalist, Dr Najma Mohamed was awarded this year Professional achiever award, currently in Italy on research, she thanked the Chamber for this award, highlighting that this is also a great achievement for recognising the Environmental sector. The two other professionals in this category was Professor Ahmed Adam and Lawyer Mohamed Husain.
- Johannesburg Businesswoman Dimpho Aisha Majogo walked away with the Businesswoman of the year. This category was tough competition with three woman from various sectors of Business making a huge contribution to their communities through their businesses. Finalists in this category included nephrologist Zulaka Khan Bobat and engineer Zeenat Ghoor.
- Zainab Paruk of the famous Chilli Choc Chef sister Duo, was presented this year’s Young Entrepreneur. Finalists in this category was Muhammed Simjee of A2D24 and IT Solutions expert and M. Taahir Shah.
- The Community Builder title was awarded to Shaykh Saleem Banda of the World Assembly of Muslim Youth. Port Elizabeth Moulana Nazir Munshie from the Al Fida Foundation and Dr Ghamiet Aysen were also strong community builder finalists in this category whom have also managed successful projects in their communities that are bettering the lives of many South Africans every day.
Minara Chamber of Commerce congratulates all winners and finalists of 2018 on their achievements and anticipates collaborations to develop aspiring businesspersons to focus on Business, women and Youth development in our country.